- Registration and abstract submissions begin: July 12, 2019
- Abstract submissions due: October 4, 2019
- Scientific Visualization submissions due: October 4, 2019
- Notification of abstract acceptance: October 9, 2019
- Poster submissions due: October 18, 2019
- Symposium date: November 8, 2019
Emerging and Advanced Presenter Instructions and Registration Link
- Student abstract submissions for the Engineering Research Symposium are due Friday, October 4th by 11:59pm. Please click here to access the presenter registration form and abstract submission system.
- Prepare your abstract and poster following the directions below.
- Use the following format and session abbreviations to name your files: EGSR for Emerging Graduate Student Research poster session, or AGSR for Advanced Graduate Student Research poster session.
- Download the abstract template here. Open it in your preferred word processor and follow the instructions. Do not change the font, margins, or spacing.
- Abstracts should not exceed 1 page in length and may include a figure. Please see the abstract template example for reference.
- See the abstract rubric for guidance in writing your abstract.
- You may upload your abstract as a .docx or .doc.
Abstract Judging for Emerging and Advanced Research
Please note: undergraduate research posters are for exhibition only.
In order to ensure the highest quality experience for all participants of the ERS, abstract submissions will be screened by a multidisciplinary panel of postdoctoral judges upon submission. The highest-scoring abstracts will be selected for the competition/exhibit. The judges will assess the abstracts using the rubric available here. You will be notified by October 9, 2019, if your abstract has been selected for the competition.
- Posters may be prepared in landscape or portrait format. Download the template for your preferred orientation and follow all instructions within the template. Do not change the font, margins or spacing.
Landscape poster template
Portrait poster template
- Your poster title must match the abstract title!
- The judging rubric for the posters is available here.
- Please upload your poster in PowerPoint and include a converted PDF version of your poster.
Please note, the Richard and Eleanor Towner Prize for Outstanding Ph.D. Research is a separate graduate student oral and poster competition. Click here for nomination and submission information.
Scientific Visualization Competition
Submissions need to include a movie (up to 1GB in size). Each submission will be reviewed by the Visualization Showcase Committee. Please note that the Scientific Visualization Contest is not a venue for technical posters.
- How effective is the visual communication of the data?
- What engineering innovation is showcased in the visualization?
- What is the impact of the science story and how well is it told?
- What visualization techniques were necessary to create the movie?
- Resources and Examples
- All entries to the contest must create a submission entry (title, authors, affiliations, contact information and copyright permissions) by October 4, 2019 to enable the organizers to complete the program listing for the meeting.
- Authors must agree to make their entry available to the public
- The video may use any codec format and resolution (1920 x 1080 recommended), but must meet the following guidelines:
- Maximum length of 5:00 minutes. Longer entries will be truncated abruptly at the maximum length.
- Audio can be included as part of the video, but will not be played at the Symposium due to possible interference with nearby exhibits. The judges will be able to listen to the audio however, during the judging process. Please note: copyrighted music or other audio must be properly licensed so that the video can be made available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License and hosted on third-party services such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Scientific Visualization Contest entries can be submitted here.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.